Luganda/English-speaking Abortion Counselor (full time, remote)
Position: Luganda/English abortion counselor
Location: Uganda or Kenya
Contract Term: Until Dec 31, 2021, with possibility of extension
The digital revolution is transforming how more than 4.5 billion people access sexual and reproductive health care and information. The increasing use of technology provides a unique opportunity to reach vulnerable populations that are excluded from traditional healthcare systems or burdened by geographic barriers, high costs, and stigma. Women and young people increasingly turn to the internet as the first touch-point for information, including guidance about reproductive health and abortion information.
Women First Digital (WFD) is an eHealth social enterprise comprised of three online platforms (descriptions below) that provide information and counseling services on safe abortion, contraception and SRHR. At WFD, we believe in leveraging the power of the digital revolution to ensure that all women, regardless of where they live, have access to a safe abortion option. Through these platforms we connect women all around the world to accurate information, allowing them to make informed decisions about comprehensive abortion care and services.
- safe2choose.org connects women all around the world to accurate and individualized information on abortion, so that they can have a safe abortion where, when, and with whom they feel most comfortable. Our team includes multilingual counselors, medical doctors, and experts in the field of public health and international development.
- HowToUseAbortionPill.org (also known as PinkShoes.org in regions of the world where criminalization or stigma make abortion resources inaccessible)
HowToUse is a one-stop global resource for safe abortion, providing simple instructions on how to use medical abortion pills. HowToUse also provides abortion eLearning courses, country-specific abortion information and is currently translated into 24 languages.
- Findmymethod.org shares information on contraception that is easy to understand, comprehensive, and globally representative.
We are looking for a Luganda/Kiswahili/English-speaking counselor for our safe2choose.org platform:
- Counseling: assisting users via live chat, e-mail by providing information about safe abortion and contraception. Counselors are expected to deliver a friendly, professional, supportive, and non-judgmental comprehensive sexual and reproductive health service, which should guide our users through a safe abortion with pills, aspiration abortion, or surgical abortion and/or refer them to local support networks, where possible and available;
- Research and understand existing resources in East Africa women currently rely on for reproductive health information and abortion services. Help us identify areas of greatest need;
- Referral: Counselors would also be required to support the referral coordinator with developing our network of trusted partners.
- Other duties as assigned;
The counselor will work online from any location but should be in constant communication with all the Women First team. The work schedule will be defined according to the candidate’s availability and WFD needs.
- The vacancy is directed at all women (trans included) and non-binary people.
- Immediate availability to work 40 hours (full-time).
- Advanced Luganda and English proficiency with strong reading and writing skills.
- Excellent grammar and spelling skills in the two languages.
- Ability to write empathetically and connect with users through writing.
- Experience in sexual and reproductive health.
- Alignment with our intersectional feminist approach, reproductive justice values, and work ethics.
- Ability to analyze a complex situation from different cultures and curate customized support.
- Ability to work without supervision and experience working remotely.
- Excellent communication skills and tech-savviness.
- Must have a computer with a stable and strong Internet connection
- Experience in counseling
- Knowledge of Kiswahili
- Knowledge of abortion
- Experience in abortion services
- Healthcare expertise
- Studies in Gender and/or Feminism, especially related to women’s health
What’s in for you:
- Support more than 3000 women every month with their reproductive rights from all over the world.
- Be part of a multicultural, feminist team based over 5 different continents.
- Become an experienced counselor with a continuous training program.
- Be part of ground-breaking e-health innovative programs
Monthly salary (based on experience)
We invite all interested candidates to submit the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Letter of Motivation outlining how your experience, skills, and professional networks fit with the required job description (1-page maximum).
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Counselor Uganda” in the subject line by July, 30th.
Please notice only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.